Through the coordination of the Brewster Office of Emergency Management Town departments have initiated storm planning in partnership with the Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee. Based on information received as of Tuesday January 21 the local emergency planning group would like to relay the following:
- Storm snow totals are estimated to be between 10-14 inches for Cape Cod.
- Blizzard conditions and high winds will affect visibility with whiteout conditions possible.
- The storm will be of long term duration (two days).
- The heaviest snowfall of 1” to 2” per hour will be between 7:00 pm Thursday and 10:00 am Wednesday.
- Wind gusts in excess of 50 mile per hour are possible.
- Snow will lessen but continue throughout the day on Wednesday.
- Severe wind chills and extreme low temperatures will follow the storm.
- As of this time no regional shelters are scheduled to be open. This may change Wednesday morning.
- Personnel assigned to staff the local Emergency Operations Center (EOC) have been placed on standby for possible deployment.
- All Town departments have adequate resources staged and have completed their storm preparations.
- The Town has made plans to open the Eddy School as a warming shelter if necessary. Information regarding the opening of this facility can be directed to the Brewster Police Department at 508-896-7011, Brewster Fire Department at 508-896-7018 or the Council on Aging at 508-896-2737.
Storm Safety Tips;
- Driving conditions throughout the night will be extremely hazardous. The Brewster Police request residents to remain off the roads during this high hazard period.
- Do not start or use generators inside any structure.
- If temporary space heater use is needed use only electric type heaters and make sure a 3’ area around the unit is kept clear of combustibles. Turn the units off when leaving the room.
- If heating your home with your fireplace please take precautions to ensure this is done safely and responsibly.
- Please listen to local media outlets for storm updates.