Brewster Fire Responds to Henry’s Road Structure Fire

On Sunday March 31, 2019 at 00:00 a.m. the Brewster Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 21 Henry’s Road. The Harwich and Orleans Fire Departments were also dispatched on an automatic line box response. On arrival Chief Moran (Car 231) reported heavy fire in the basement of 2 ½ story wood frame private dwelling with heavy smoke on the first and second floors. He also requested a working fire assignment for additional resources.

The occupants were found outside of the home on arrival of the fire department however, they indicated several pets remained inside. Brewster Squad 241 under the direction of Captain Chris Flavell arrived and stretched a 5” supply line from the hydrant to the fire and a 200’ 1 ¾ attack line to the side “D” entrance to the basement. Due to a simultaneous ambulance response the Captain was manning the attack line by himself. Orleans Ladder 176 arrived on scene and was assigned to assist Captain Flavell with the interior fire attack on the basement level. Brewster Deputy Chief Varley arrived on scene and was assigned operations. Harwich Engine 65 arrived and was assigned to stretch a second attack line to the first floor to check for fire extension into the area and conduct a primary search. Harwich Deputy LeBlanc arrived on scene and was assigned as the Division 1 supervisor. During the search of the first floor two dogs were removed from the structure. Both survived. The Eastham engine arrived on scene and was assigned to conduct a primary search of the second floor and to check for fire extension into the area and the attic space above.

The home sustained heavy fire damage to the basement level and smoke damage throughout. Eversource, National Grid, and the Brewster Water Department responded to the scene to secure the utilities to the structure. The Brewster Building Department was requested and upon their review of the structure posted the building as uninhabitable. The State Fire Marshal’s office responded to the scene to conduct the fire investigation in cooperation with the Brewster Police and Fire Departments. During the fire several other medical responses occurred in Brewster and were covered by the Dennis and Yarmouth Fire Departments. The Red Cross assisted one resident with temporary relocation. All Brewster units were placed back into service at approximately 5:00 a.m.