• Unplug all lighting before retiring for the evening or leaving the house.
• Purchase lights and electric decorations which are listed by an approved testing agency such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
• Check all lighting for frayed wires, broken plugs, sockets, etc.
• Never overload outlets. Use no more than three strands of lights on a single extension cord.
• Never use candles on trees, near live or otherflammable decorations.
• Blow out candles before leaving the room. Don’t leave candles burning unattended.
• Consider buying new energy efficient LED lights thatdon’t get as hot.
• Always use appropriate weatherproof lights outdoors.
- Never use candles as decorations.
- Keep trees away from heat.
- Never use a cut tree in a place of public assembly (apartment or hotel lobbies, restaurants, etc).
- Water a cut tree daily.
- Use a “non-tip” style tree stand.
- Use only fire retardant decorations.• Never leave a lit tree unattended.• Dispose of your tree properly, soon after the holiday, before the needles dry out.
• Artificial trees should have a fireretardant label.
• Never hang lights on a metallic tree.