Brewster Firefighters Battle House Fire


At 4:10 a.m. on Thursday July 21 the Brewster Fire Department received numerous 911 calls reporting a house fire at 33 Old Long Pond Road. Brewster Engine 234 under the command of Firefighter Kirk Rounseville, Ladder 237, Engine 233, Car 232 (Deputy Varley), and Car 231 (Chief Moran) responded to the scene. Orleans Tower 176 and Harwich Engine 68 were also dispatched on the structure fire line box assignment.

On arrival Chief Moran reported a vacant, fully involved 1 ½ story wood frame private dwelling with extension to brush on all four sides of the home. The Chief assumed command and requested the working fire assignment bringing an additional engine from Chatham and an Eastham ambulance to the scene. The crew from Engine 234 and Ladder 237 immediately stretched two 2 ½ inch pre-connected attack lines and initiated an exterior attack on the well involved structure. Orleans and Harwich firefighters arrived and were assigned to stretch additional attack lines from Engine 234 and also back-up to the operating Brewster personnel. Orleans also provided a rapid intervention crew at the scene. Due to the major fire damage to the structure and potential for further collapse firefighters were unable to enter the building after knocking down the main body of fire. Personnel remained on scene wetting down hot spots and overhauling the fire area for several hours.

Chief Officers from Harwich, Orleans, and Eastham responded to the scene and were assigned specific command duties by the Incident Commander. During the fire a Dennis Engine and Yarmouth Ambulance provided coverage at Brewster Fire Headquarters.

Eversource responded to the scene to confirm that all electric to the building was secured. The Brewster Building Official also responded to assist in assessing damage to the home and post the structure as uninhabitable. Due to the building being vacant at the time of the fire and the fact that a prior fire had occurred in the home in 2007 the State Fire Marshals officer responded to the scene to conduct an origin and cause investigation. All Brewster units were placed back in service at 12:13 p.m.

Video by CWN associate Craig Chadwick