Brewster Fire Department Responds to Eastham Structure Fire

On Sunday March 8, 2015 at approximately 7:55 a.m. multiple Brewster Fire Department units responded on a mutual aid request to assist the Eastham Fire Department at a structure fire located at 105 Townsend Road. On the initial working fire assignment Engine 234 under the direction of Captain Anthony Dalmau and Car 231 (Chief Moran) responded with the engine assigned as the drafting engine at Great Pond and Chief Moran assigned as the Operations Chief at the fire scene. On their arrival Eastham firefighters initiated an aggressive interior attack on the large 2 ½ story wood frame dwelling. These efforts were supported by additional mutual aid units until such time the lack of fire hydrants in the area caused significant water supply and safety issues for crews working on the interior of the building. These hazardous conditions required the withdrawal of those companies and the switch to a defensive exterior attack. With the fire moving swiftly through the building the incident commander (Orleans Chief Anthony Pike) requested a second alarm assignment which brought Brewster Engine 239 under the direction of Captain Christopher Flavell to the scene. Due to the lack of hydrants a tanker task force was also requested which brought additional Barnstable County units to the incident to assist in establishing a continuous water supply. In addition to the tanker shuttle firefighters had to stretch approximately 1000 feet of 4” supply hose down the only access road to the incident which was narrow and ice covered from recent storms. Working without a reliable water source for a considerable amount of time impeded operations and allowed the fire to burn through the roof of the structure causing several localized collapses of the floors and roof. Due to the large fire loss the State Fire Marshal’s Office was requested to respond to the scene to conduct an investigation. Fire departments operating at the incident or providing station coverage included Eastham, Brewster, Orleans, Harwich, Chatham, Dennis, Yarmouth, Sandwich, West Barnstable Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown. All Brewster units returned to service at 4:46 p.m.