Brewster Firefighters Experience Busy 4th of July Weekend

Brewster firefighters responded to 52 requests for service during this past weekend.  Included in these “runs” were three line box responses to reported structure fires in the Town of Orleans and the Town of Harwich and a life-threatening bike accident on the Cape Cod Rail Trail that resulted in serious traumatic injuries to the bicyclist.  Additionally, the high winds and heavy rain from Tropical Storm Arthur triggered a number of calls for power lines and trees down throughout Town including several that caused isolated power outages.


The department also recorded two water rescue responses on Sunday July 6.  The first occurred at 2:45 p.m. on Flax Pond in Nickerson State Park when a report of two children in a raft who were unable to return to shore was received by Barnstable County Dispatch.  Brewster firefighters responded with the Zodiac boat, an ambulance, and an engine to the location.  Due to additional manpower needs the Orleans Fire Department also responded with an engine at the request of the incident commander. Upon arrival fire department personnel were advised that the children had been helped to shore by bystanders and all units were returned to service.


The second water rescue occurred in the area of Wing Island/Paines Creek at approximately 3:45 p.m. when Barnstable County Dispatch received a report of an adult male and child being swept out into the bay by strong southwest winds and heavy swells.  Brewster firefighters responded with the Zodiac boat, heavy rescue, and an ambulance to Paines Creek landing. Due to the immediate need to reach and rapidly remove the individuals from this dangerous situation the incident commander also requested the response of boats from the Dennis and Eastham Fire Departments. In addition, noting the severity of the situation Barnstable County Dispatchers proactively notified the Coast Guard to respond and assist with the search prior to the dispatch of fire department units. With all of these resources moving into position to initiate a coordinated search and rescue operation the fire department was notified via dispatch that the two individuals in question had been picked up by a personal watercraft and brought to shore.  Once this information was confirmed all Brewster and mutual aid units were returned and placed back in service.